Packing & Storage Tips
At Vaultra self-storages we are all about having a positive moving, packing and storage experience and would love for you to have a great experience. Here are some pointers from our teams who have been in the industry for many years.
- Use the right box – Ideally smaller boxes are to contain heavy items such as dishes and books, while the larger boxes would contain lighter items like linen, blankets and sheets.
- Don’t over-pack – A rule of thumb is to ensure the box remains in its original shape when you are done packing and not bulging from the sides.
- Label – Clearly label all the boxes with their respective contents. Also mention which side needs to be up.
- Try to use boxes as much as possible instead of garbage bags to prevent your goods from getting squashed or damaged.
- Tape your boxes so that they don’t pop open.
- Dismantle large items to make them smaller and easier to transport.
- Always place boxes on pallets or wooden platforms to facilitate air circulation.
- Fold your clothes properly and store them in dressers or hang them in wardrobe boxes.
- Do not store perishable food items as they will attract fungi and parasites, thus compromising your other goods as well.
- It is always good to store books and documents in temperature and humidity controlled storage units.
- When storing tools and equipment, clean them and wipe them with a rag containing a few drops of machine oil.
- Wrap mattresses with high quality mattress covers and store off the floor.
- Medicine and pharmaceuticals must be stored in temperature and humidity controlled units.
- Individually wrap all glass and ceramic-ware with newspaper or bubble-wrap.
- Jewelry and important documents should be kept with you at all times.